Fresh Meat Festival Lineup
A queer-trans festival delivers its 15th season in San Francisco this June.
The Singing Bois
June doesn’t just have to be filled with just Pride events. Why not check out a transgender and queer arts festival? A topic that gets talked about a lot in LGBTQ circles is visibility of queer stories being told, but also of queer people telling them. The Fresh Meat Festival is celebrating its 15th anniversary on June 16-18 in San Francisco, California. Not only does it showcase diverse identities, but also different talents. Best of all, there’s a full day, June 17th, where the festival is interpreted in American Sign Language.
Check out some of the events:
- Sean Dorsey Dance, who was recently named in Dance Magazine’s 25 To Watch, U.S.’s first transgender modern dance choreographer, who gave a voice to the AIDS epidemic in his piece titled The Missing Generation.
- Breanna Sinclaire, an opera singer who is known as the first transgender woman to receive a Master’s degree in the opera program at the San Francisco Conservatory.
- The Singing Bois, a gender-bending band who interpret popular songs, telling queer, butch, and trans stories through song
- India Davis, an aerial dancer who is also the Artistic Director of Topsy Turvy Queer Circus, a group of queer performers who put on shows at The Brava Theater in San Francisco
- Karen Anzoategui, a multitalented gender-queer writer, who has won two LA Weekly awards for their original music and music direction, telling stories and performing theater
Check out freshmeatproductions.org for information on all of the performances and the schedules. The festival is at Z Space, a mainstage and black box theater on 450 Florida Street in San Francisco, California.