North Shore Pride Parade and Festival
Theme of Third Annual Parade and Festival is Show Your North Shore Pride!
The North Shore Pride organizing committee is excited to announce that the third annual North Shore Pride Parade and Festival will take place Saturday, June 21, 2014 in Salem, Massachusetts.
This year’s Festival will feature a special appearance by nationally-known TV and film actor Alex Newell. A dynamic, rising-star performer, Newell was born in Salem, MA, and raised in Lynn. His full bio is available at: http://northshorepride.org/sites/default/files/ANewellBio.pdf
“We’re so thrilled to have Alex with us this year,” said Board President Hope Watt-Bucci. “Not only is he a wildly talented performer, he was born and raised right here on the North Shore. His appearance will be a true inspiration for our LGBTQ community, particularly the youth in our community.”
In addition to his headline performance at the Festival on the Salem Common following the Pride Parade, Newell will appear at the official North Shore Pride After Party at Murphy’s Pub. The After Party will begin at 4 p.m., and guests will have an opportunity to participate in a special “meet and greet” with Newell. Details to come at www.northshorepride.org.
In addition to Newell’s performance, the North Shore Pride committee is pleased to announce the full entertainment lineup for the 2014 Festival:
- Fast Freddy – Grand Marshal and MC
- Big Ol’ Dirty Bucket - Described as "Parliament-Funkadelic meets Aretha Franklin at a Jay-Z concert", Big Ol’ Dirty Bucket entertains with an energetic and engaging stage show that whips the dance floor into a frenzy and leaves every audience member sweaty and screaming for more.
- Petty Morals - Formed on the North Shore in 2012, Petty Morals combines synth-punk/dance-rock with a profound appreciation for boxed wine. The all-female band, comprised of Taiphoon on lead vocals, Chrissy V on guitar, LoWreck on drums, Allison Wonderland on keys, Ivahna Rock on bass, and Hellion on backing vocals. took 2nd place in the finals of this year’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Rumble.
- What Time is it Mr. Fox? - Led by the gender-defying voice of 3rian King, What Time Is It, Mr. Fox? delivers their own brand smoky cabaret, neo-soul and acoustic noir, sounding something like Tom Waits and Annie Lennox performing in a French cafe.
- Bethel Steele - award winning nationally-touring singer songwriter and a budding LGBTQ community activist who identifies on the greater trans* spectrum as genderqueer.
- Fight or Flight Theater - Fight or Flight is an aerial theater company based in NYC. They host workshops and events for children and adults across the U.S. as well as perform classic and contemporary theater on the trapeze. Recent productions include Richard II and Henry V by Shakespeare. They are currently in the process of workshopping an aerial version of Moby Dick.
- Read more about each of these performers at http://www.northshorepride.org/pride-celebration/entertainment
The North Shore Pride committee is pleased to once again be holding the Parade and Festival in Salem, where the event has received overwhelming support from city officials, including Mayor Kimberley Driscoll, and the entire Salem community.
About the 2014 North Shore Pride Parade and Festival
- Date: Saturday, June 21
- Parade: The Parade begins at 12 noon in front of the Salem Post Office on Margin Street, proceeding down New Derby and Derby Streets to Hawthorne Boulevard, ending at the Salem Common.
- Festival: The Festival kicks off on the Salem Common immediately following the Parade and runs until approximately 4 p.m. The Festival includes live entertainment; food, beverage and retail vendors; information from LGBT and other area non-profit organizations; and activities for families.
- Interfaith Service: An interfaith service will take place before the Parade, at 10 a.m. at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Salem
- Official After Party: The Official North Shore Pride After Party will take place at Murphy’s Pub at 300 Derby Street, from 4-10 p.m. Festival headliner Alex Newell will make a special appearance. Admission to the After Party is free, but a $10 VIP ticket at the door grants access to a meet and greet with Newell.
For information about registering for the parade, signing up to be a vendor at the festival, becoming a North Shore Pride sponsor, advertising in the official North Shore Pride Program Guide, or volunteering visit: http://www.northshorepride.org
About North Shore Pride
The mission of North Shore Pride, Inc. is to promote the general welfare, and enhance the social life of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community of the North Shore, and to promote the acceptance of the members of this community by the broader North Shore community. To carry out these purposes, the organization engages in activities designed to promote greater understanding of LGBTQ issues, educates the members of the LGBTQ community on issues of importance to them and engages in fundraising activities, partnering with individuals and organizations, in furtherance of its stated purpose.
North Shore Pride is an entirely volunteer run organization.